This aromatic pumpkin cake recipe is a cozy dessert that is lightly sweetened, moist, and fluffy, making it a delightful treat for anytime.
With simple ingredients like pumpkin spice and pumpkin puree, this cake is bursting with the warm flavors of fall!
Moist and Fluffy Pumpkin Cake
- Just a few pantry basics and a can of pumpkin puree are all you need!
- Easy to make in just one bowl. No need for a fancy mixer, just stir & bake!
- Versatile pumpkin cake is a perfect snack cake, or transform it into a fancy Bundt cake or grab-and-go cupcakes!
- Much like banana bread, it can be made in advance and becomes even moister as it rests.
Ingredients and Variations
Cake – In a pinch for time? Use a box of yellow cake mix instead of flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt. Follow the rest of the recipe as directed.
Pumpkin – Be sure to use pumpkin puree either from a can or homemade. Don’t use pumpkin pie filling since pie filling is seasoned and contains sugar. Puree is just straight pumpkin!
Pumpkin Pie Spice – Use a purchased blend or make your own with a simple blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and ground cloves.
Variations – Add some toasted nuts like pecans or walnuts to the batter or sprinkle them over the top of the frosted cake, if desired. A handful of mini chocolate, butterscotch, or toffee chips offer a festive touch as well!
How to Make Pumpkin Cake
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together until combined.
- Gently stir in the remaining wet ingredients, being careful not to overmix the batter.
- Pour mixture into a prepared pan and bake as per the recipe below.
Cool before frosting with cream cheese frosting.
For a Bundt Cake:
Grease a Bundt cake pan and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F and bake until a wooden pick comes out clean, about 50-55 minutes.
For Pumpkin Cupcakes:
Grease and fill muffin tins. Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 16-18 minutes (makes 12 regular-sized muffins).
Cream Cheese Frosting
This is the only frosting recipe you’ll ever need for any variety of cakes, cupcakes, or even dipping cookies! Whether for carrot cake or this pumpkin spice cake, it’s the perfect finishing touch. Best of all, it’s only three ingredients and a few easy steps, and it can be frozen for future desserts!
- Cream unsalted butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Mix in (optional) vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Mix in powdered sugar in stages until the frosting is smooth. Use as desired.
Pro Tips for Perfect Pumpkin Cake
- Set the eggs out about 30 minutes before using so they whip up fast and fluffy.
- Check the dates on the baking powder and baking soda to be sure they aren’t expired.
- Line the pan with parchment paper for easy removal of the cake.
- Avoid overmixing the batter otherwise your cake will be dense and heavy.
Storing Pumpkin Cake
Keep leftover pumpkin cake in a covered container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freeze portions by wrapping them in plastic wrap and storing them in a zippered bag in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight or pop one or two into a backpack or briefcase and they’ll be thawed just in time for a mid-morning snack!
Did you make this Pumpkin Cake? Leave a rating and a comment below!
Moist, soft, & full of fall flavors, Pumpkin Cake is hard to resist!
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt in a large bowl.
Add remaining ingredients and stir until just combined.
Pour batter into an ungreased 9×9 baking pan.
Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting.
- Set eggs out about 30 minutes before using to bring to room temperature. If you are short on time, run them under hot water for a minute or so.
- Double-check the freshness dates of your baking powder and soda to be sure they aren’t expired.
- Avoid overmixing the batter so the cake stays nice and fluffy.
- Keep leftover pumpkin cake at room temperature in a zippered bag or airtight container for up to 5 days. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw slices at room temperature.
Calories: 357 | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 11g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 244mg | Potassium: 187mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 5729IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.