Infineon Technologies AG has introduced a single-chip solution for NFC (Near Field Communication) lock applications, enabling Keep It Simple Storage (KISS), a US-based self-storage solutions provider, to enhance its secure locking system.
This NFC-powered smart lock solution eliminates the need for traditional keys and adds a new level of convenience and security to self-storage facilities.
KISS’s smart lock system leverages Infineon’s NAC1080 microcontroller (MCU), a single-chip solution designed for passive NFC lock applications. The key features and benefits of this innovative smart lock system include:
- Battery-Free and NFC-Powered: The smart lock operates without the need for batteries, Bluetooth, or cables. It is powered by NFC technology, making it highly efficient and eco-friendly.
- Remote Control and Troubleshooting: Owners and operators of self-storage facilities can remotely manage and troubleshoot the smart lock system. This feature eliminates common inconveniences like auctions, lost keys, and lock replacements, reducing operational costs.
- Integrated H-Bridge: The NAC1080 MCU integrates an H-Bridge, simplifying the system design and reducing the number of components required.
- Energy Harvesting: The MCU supports energy harvesting, allowing it to be powered passively by the NFC field, reducing the need for external power sources.
- Enhanced Security: The NAC1080 MCU includes features like an integrated AES128 accelerator and true random number generator for data encryption and decryption, ensuring data security in a low-power environment.
- Smartphone Control: Users can control the smart lock system directly from their smartphones via the NFC interface. This allows for the management of multiple storage units through a mobile app.
- Eco-Friendly Focus: KISS emphasizes sustainability and aims to reduce e-waste and carbon footprints through its innovative technology.
Doris Keitel-Schulz, Vice President of Contactless Power and Sensing at Infineon’s Power & Sensor Systems Division, highlighted the significance of this technology in creating eco-friendly living environments.
Infineon’s NAC1080 MCU not only brings convenience and security to the self-storage industry but also demonstrates the potential of NFC technology in various applications beyond lock systems. Its energy-efficient and remote-controllable features aim to transform how self-storage facilities operate, reducing maintenance costs and enhancing user experiences.